-->

Podcast 37: Those Pesky Borrowing Demons

Talk about anything to do with our Staggering Stories Podcast!

Moderators: Adam J Purcell, Crew

Adam J Purcell

Podcast 37: Those Pesky Borrowing Demons

Post by Adam J Purcell »

Podcast 37 is now live!

You will find it at the usual places.

This time we talk about:
  • Doctor Who: The inevitable discussion on Matt Smith's casting.
    ITV's Demons.
    A 30 second recommendation of Star Cops.
    The Agony Nanny tongue lashes a young, hormonal, Time Lord!
    Plus, as ever, lots of news (Doctor Who and otherwise).

and yet more..!
Feel free to discuss!
tallorder

Post by tallorder »

Chaps, your ringing endorsement of Demons has hardened my resolve to ignore it and try and forgive Phillip Glenister. I think I can manage without his mid-atlantic twang!

Whilst I have no proof - I would like to mention that I did indeed see all of Party Animals on first transmission, I couldn't however have told you that the actor who played 'Danny' was a potential Doctor and I pity those fans who are hoovering up the DVDs... Danny's a bit of a drip IIRC and was hardly a stand-out character... his brother got all the action! I watched for Racquel Cassidy (Jack Dee's wife on Lead Balloon, er off of Teachers when it was good and Andrew Lincoln was still in it!).

30 Second recommendation... excellent Adam, but I fear that 'Box' possibly falls into the 'magic technology' category even if the rest of the tech doesn't. The best thing in retrospect about Star Cops for me is the projection of the late 80's cold war paranoia on the space race. I fear 2027 will be a damn sight more complex when we get there. The Boucher Eps really are the strongest... the Phillip Martin one is fun... the others I can take or leave.

Cheers for another entertaining Podcast guys :D
Ian D. McArdell says...

"You have often said... pass"
Adam J Purcell

Post by Adam J Purcell »

tallorder wrote:Chaps, your ringing endorsement of Demons has hardened my resolve to ignore it and try and forgive Phillip Glenister. I think I can manage without his mid-atlantic twang!
No, you won't be missing much. Is this really the best that ITV can do? I think even Primeval is better than Demons right now (I know Andy is a big fan of Cutter and co. but I've never really been sold on it). It was quite hard to believe that this past Saturday's Demons was directed by James Strong - there was no dramatic tension, no excitement. Nothing! Oh well, only 3 more to go, I'll watch those to see if it gets any better (and to report on it in the next podcast).
tallorder wrote:Whilst I have no proof - I would like to mention that I did indeed see all of Party Animals on first transmission, I couldn't however have told you that the actor who played 'Danny' was a potential Doctor and I pity those fans who are hoovering up the DVDs... Danny's a bit of a drip IIRC and was hardly a stand-out character... his brother got all the action! I watched for Racquel Cassidy (Jack Dee's wife on Lead Balloon, er off of Teachers when it was good and Andrew Lincoln was still in it!).
Never seen Lead Balloon (despite being heavily run on BBC HD) or Teachers, so I'll have to take your word for it on Racquel Cassidy! I'm pretty sure I saw one episode of Party Animals but don't really remember it all that well. I'll still try to get the DVD, it sounded like the sort of thing I might like anyway and I should see Matt Smith's performance in it, for future podcast comment. I've already managed to get the Sally Lockhart Mysteries DVD set (there's rather more draw to it than Matt Smith, however!)
tallorder wrote:30 Second recommendation... excellent Adam, but I fear that 'Box' possibly falls into the 'magic technology' category even if the rest of the tech doesn't. The best thing in retrospect about Star Cops for me is the projection of the late 80's cold war paranoia on the space race. I fear 2027 will be a damn sight more complex when we get there. The Boucher Eps really are the strongest... the Phillip Martin one is fun... the others I can take or leave.
Box, magic tech? Nah! Very advanced AI. There were hints it was somewhat dodgy - unethical or, perhaps, even illegal? I've always wondered if there was an organic component to Box - brain tissue, perhaps? Why didn't anyone else have anything quite so advanced, otherwise? Either way, I suspect that such AI won't be beyond us in 20 years time (or 18 ).

The Cold War stuff was beginning to feel rather dated in the 90s but with the current chilly relations I think it might be becoming relevant again. Who knows? For me, I've always liked detective stories and science fiction, sadly the two rarely go together!

The Boucher episodes were a cut above the rest, especially his wonderful dialogue! Wonderfully cynical stuff. Great characters, too (at least those created by Boucher...)

The real 2027 probably will be a lot more complex (and a lot more Earth based - space travel hasn't moved an inch since the 80s). I still look forward to owning my own Box, though!
tallorder wrote:Cheers for another entertaining Podcast guys :D
Thank you for listening - did you get that iPod in addition to the Sat Nav in the end, then?
tallorder

Post by tallorder »

Nope - just listened on the PC whilst messing about last night, I may still get an ipod for the train journeys... perhaps as a birthday present to myself.

The Sat Nav is fun though - I have the Yoda & the Darth Vader voices obviously... but am currently taking instruction from a nice Irish lady called Kathy, I found the UK default voice a little too stern... others may like that sort of thing :shock:
Ian D. McArdell says...

"You have often said... pass"