-->

Sotus Attacks!

Anything related to the Staggering Stories site that doesn't fit in elsewhere.

Moderators: Adam J Purcell, Crew

Adam J Purcell

Sotus Attacks!

Post by Adam J Purcell »

Just muscling in on your Audio Diary (so I get my name as the latest post in all the Forums, really!)

Tell us a bit about Sotus Attacks! would you? You don't do much with drums normally. Also, do I recognise homages from a couple of difference sources in there?
macfadyan
Location: Watching lozanges of vortisticial light form beautiful butterfly patterns..I'M FREE!!

[b]must I?[/b]

Post by macfadyan »

Always happy to answer my fans...<evil grin>
I take it you were asking that in your most innocent of voices, huh? LOL

Ok. Sot'us Attacks!

this was done for the saturday night rpg of The Buccaneer Chronicles.

There is a scene in one of the stories to come that when rpged was essentially a "Keith Dunn Description" meaning we get sound effects from the spluttermeister himself.

It was one of the rare events that I, ,as Lord Macfadyan, had planned ahead, (see Interlude On Sot'us)., So, knowing what was gonna happen, myself and purcell face worked on this one.
As it features a few of those lovable, cute, cuddly not-at-all-devious-oh-no-really-would-I-lie-to-you-guv'nor floating heads, the Sot'ms, , it was only right that Adam (as their cre'ator) had a large say in just what he wanted for this piece; that and the fct I was using hispcs and pc experience...you see, this was done very very very early on, when all this music nonsense first started.
So, he wanted some Holst in there...Mars, naturally. Also, somewhere down the line, Mars Attacks! was requested (or did I suggest it? can't remember).
The dru, and pizzicato are from mars and some of the melody is Mars Attacks!, Mars the bringer of war and also a typical peter Howell sort of melody....you might hear it in the Five Doctors. No idea why I put the Howell thing in but it seems to work.
However, that wasn't enough for Mr. So Called Purcell.....oh no...he wanted more.
John BLOODY Williams.
A little of the droid army theme from the phantom menace.
The version onn the site is a shortened version. The original had an actual sample from Wiliam's score at the start and finished with a long sample from Mars
For this version I trimmed it right down, ,echoed the new end of it, applied heavy reverb to make the drums rumble like thunder and popped it through a wide channel mixing. Add a little bass and up the volume and bobs yer petunia.

I actually quite like this remixed version...it sounds a lot better but it is still a very early piece, so remember that when you sit there and yell "Ooh...bad timing on thaty bit", ,LOL
Unless your Keith when I'm sure you won't notice.....

<evil grin>
YOU HAVE BEEN WATCHING.....
Mac (the Menlove Stokes of Dr Who music, apparently...)

"You can hear the whole of Human history in the sound of a cello"
macfadyan
Location: Watching lozanges of vortisticial light form beautiful butterfly patterns..I'M FREE!!

Post by macfadyan »

oh dear. It seems Sot'us Attacks! has gone down rather well (Hmm, Maidenbower again, ,it seems)
just had a nice posting in the BTR forum

See? I can do good things....
YOU HAVE BEEN WATCHING.....
Mac (the Menlove Stokes of Dr Who music, apparently...)

"You can hear the whole of Human history in the sound of a cello"