-->

The Girl in the Fireplace

Want to discuss non-Staggering Stories related things with the other denizens? Try here!

Moderators: Adam J Purcell, Crew

tallorder

The Girl in the Fireplace

Post by tallorder »

Well, I just loved that to bits. Moffat does it again. Let's sit back and watch the predictable fan reaction to the kiss then!
Ian D. McArdell says...

"You have often said... pass"
Hobbit

Post by Hobbit »

Loved the s**t-eating grin on his face when he declared, "I'm the Doctor and I just snogged Madame Pompidou!" Excellent :)

The horse bursting through the mirror was very impressive and the clockwork thingies were rather unnerving.

The ending was awesome - very moving.

Definitely the begining of the end for Rose - not only must she face being the latest in a loooong line of bestest-buddies-in-the-whole-universe but the object of her affections happily 'dances' with anything attractive that happens by.
Zebras deserve everything they get.
Chisel

Post by Chisel »

I enjoyed the episode very much, the first few of the series let me down a bit, but they're improving in my opinion, looking forward to the Cybermen next week :D
Andy Simpkins

Post by Andy Simpkins »

Quite a poignant epsode I thought.Reading the letter that Mdame Pompadour gave him reminded The Doctor of all the years he has ahead of him and the possible emptiness he faces unless he continues to have company .He would still be relativey young when all his companions are as dust on the wind and that brought home to him the enormity of his life.seeing friends and loved ones age and die is one thing we all have to face in life but for The Doctor,it is compounded manyfold......
I wish I was a glow-worm,a glow-worm's never glum,it's hard to be unhappy when the sun shines out your bum!
lordsummerisle
Location: lying on the grass on Sunday morning of last week, indulging in my self-defeat

Post by lordsummerisle »

Superb episode. No more needs to be said.
"It is the business of the future to be dangerous." - Alfred North Whitehead, philosopher.
Adam J Purcell

Post by Adam J Purcell »

Hmm, looks like I'm the odd one out again. Thought it was okay but there was something about it that I didn't like, can't quite put my finger on what.

It felt a little rushed and confused, certainly rather over the top. Tennant seemed more to be returning to his Casanova character rather than the Doctor. Acting drunk and that silly wink he gave Pompadour, for example. Perhaps it was the sets and costumes - had him regressing! He had his good moments too - particularly his final scene in the TARDIS but that just helps highlight his earlier odd performance.

Also I get the feeling that Moffat didn't really know what to do with Rose and, especially, Mickey. It was a bit of a waste of time having Mickey along for that story. Rose had her place as the, literally, abandoned companion/friend/ex, though that was a little underplayed - her reaction on the Doctor's return was almost entirely glossed over.

Having said that it was quite fun and certainly a concept story. Unlike last weeks I didn't find myself really caring about what happened, though.