-->

checklist...

Want to discuss non-Staggering Stories related things with the other denizens? Try here!

Moderators: Adam J Purcell, Crew

Adam J Purcell

Post by Adam J Purcell »

I didn't think it was that bad. A little slow in places but I certainly didn't find it awful.

It was an experimental episode. It could have been better and, for me at least, could have been a lot worse, too. I think it would be a great shame if the general fan reaction to this put an effective end to experimental stories. Formulaic, tired and uninventive Who will stay dead a lot longer than uneven, sometimes excellent sometimes rather less so, Who.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the equivalent episode next year, particularly as they are less likely to have a character like Jackie around, I suspect. A Torchwood based episode instead, perhaps? A bit like they did in X-Files a couple of times with the Lone Gunmen and little or no Scully and Mulder?

As for the 'blow job joke' - you all have dirty minds! Could he not have been referring to just sharing the odd kiss? Besides, I'd imagine she'd have a rather rough tongue and lips..! :wink:
lordsummerisle
Location: lying on the grass on Sunday morning of last week, indulging in my self-defeat

Post by lordsummerisle »

I agree with Adam.

It's nowhere near the abomination some of you are making out, in fact it was a quite refreshing episode. It's nice to see the programme trying something a bit different for a change. If every episode is going to be spaceships and running down corridors then it'll soon get as stale as it was in JNT's era. This was different, witty and gently self-mocking and presented the more human face of science fiction. More Christopher Priest than EE Doc Smith if you get my drift.

I didn't think Peter Kay worked though. He was fine in human disguise but once he changed into the rubber monster he was just dreadful. Anyway, alien monsters with Bolton accents? I wouldn't mind but he only gained the Bolton accent once he changed out of human form!

As for the blow job joke, once again I agree with Adam. It's one of those lines that you can take as you want.
"It is the business of the future to be dangerous." - Alfred North Whitehead, philosopher.
lordsummerisle
Location: lying on the grass on Sunday morning of last week, indulging in my self-defeat

Post by lordsummerisle »

I should add ....

I'm not suggesting that every episode of Who should be like this but when I said in an earlier post that I'd like to see the show try something a bit different and a bit riskier every now and then, this was the sort of thing I had in mind.
"It is the business of the future to be dangerous." - Alfred North Whitehead, philosopher.
Hobbit

Post by Hobbit »

Fair comments from all...but I still didn't like it :)
Zebras deserve everything they get.
macfadyan
Location: Watching lozanges of vortisticial light form beautiful butterfly patterns..I'M FREE!!

Post by macfadyan »

yup, fair comment...but Ill reserve my final pronouncement, lol, till my musing at the end of the series.......be warned..
YOU HAVE BEEN WATCHING.....
Mac (the Menlove Stokes of Dr Who music, apparently...)

"You can hear the whole of Human history in the sound of a cello"