-->

checklist...

Want to discuss non-Staggering Stories related things with the other denizens? Try here!

Moderators: Adam J Purcell, Crew

macfadyan
Location: Watching lozanges of vortisticial light form beautiful butterfly patterns..I'M FREE!!

checklist...

Post by macfadyan »

Blue peter monster - check
Comedy actor to play said monster - check
Shark - check
Stuntman for jumping of said shark - check.

I can see what they were trying to do, but the execution of it stank. And as for the blow job joke......
YOU HAVE BEEN WATCHING.....
Mac (the Menlove Stokes of Dr Who music, apparently...)

"You can hear the whole of Human history in the sound of a cello"
tallorder

Post by tallorder »

Funny... I thought it was great, but I guess it was always going to be one to divide the fans. Mind you, I thought the Blow Job gag was near the knuckle too!

Lovely performance from Camille Coduri and a great turn from Marc Warren too. I can see what they were trying to do and I think they managed it admirably.
Ian D. McArdell says...

"You have often said... pass"
lordsummerisle
Location: lying on the grass on Sunday morning of last week, indulging in my self-defeat

Post by lordsummerisle »

I haven't seen it yet ... got carried away with the footy and didn't realise the time.

A blow job joke in Doctor Who? That's a bit hard to swallow.

BOOM BOOM !!!
"It is the business of the future to be dangerous." - Alfred North Whitehead, philosopher.
Chisel

Post by Chisel »

Can't say I was impressed either, was a strange episode, and all the video camera stuff dragged on. Then the joke at the end as well, thats left me with images of a man performing unsavoury acts on a paving slab in my head, and thats just a bit wrong :shock:
Hobbit

Post by Hobbit »

Nope, sorry, didn't like it at all. Actually started channel hopping half way through - unheard of!!

Enjoyed the Scooby Doo bit at the begining and thought Camille whatsername was very good but on the whole....ho-hum...nope :(
Zebras deserve everything they get.
tallorder

Post by tallorder »

Hobbit wrote:Nope, sorry, didn't like it at all. Actually started channel hopping half way through - unheard of!
Blimey - that's as bad as all the posters on OG slating the episode whilst it's still on air! How do you know there weren't bits you would have liked whilst you were channel hopping?
Ian D. McArdell says...

Hobbit

Post by Hobbit »

If it was bad enough to make me channel hop, a few good bits I might have missed would not have been enough to save the episode.

I'm filing it in the little black folder that holds Horns of Nimon, Greatest Show in the Galaxy, Timelash and that one last season where Cardiff was gonna blow up.

Let us never speak of it again... :(
Zebras deserve everything they get.
macfadyan
Location: Watching lozanges of vortisticial light form beautiful butterfly patterns..I'M FREE!!

Post by macfadyan »

like I say, I can see what they were trying to do, but the whole thing seemed schizo...and no, peter kay as the bad guy..well...sorry, but NO. It was back to the time of JNT panto!

I loved the premose, the elo stuff, the loose format of it....but it simply didnt hang together well enough in the end to be of any use...
YOU HAVE BEEN WATCHING.....
Mac (the Menlove Stokes of Dr Who music, apparently...)

"You can hear the whole of Human history in the sound of a cello"
tallorder

Post by tallorder »

Hobbit wrote:If it was bad enough to make me channel hop, a few good bits I might have missed would not have been enough to save the episode.

I'm filing it in the little black folder that holds Horns of Nimon, Greatest Show in the Galaxy, Timelash and that one last season where Cardiff was gonna blow up.

Let us never speak of it again... :(
Ah, but let us. Greatest Show is the Clowns thing, right? A S25 classic IMHO - original and inventive.
Timelasth is Paul Darrow chewing scenery and the Borad? Yeah... bit of a duffer but not without merit in a patchy season.
Nimon... well you have a point there - but it's a good Romana story if I recall.

As for Boomtown... yes it's the filler/gang show - but also a look at the Doctor's morals and how he sometimes acts as judge and jury... perhaps forshadowing Tennant's Doc and this season. It thought it was fab... and a nice change of pace between The Empty Child and the Bad Wolf 2-parters.
Ian D. McArdell says...

tallorder

Post by tallorder »

macfadyan wrote:like I say, I can see what they were trying to do, but the whole thing seemed schizo...and no, peter kay as the bad guy..well...sorry, but NO. It was back to the time of JNT panto!

I loved the premose, the elo stuff, the loose format of it....but it simply didnt hang together well enough in the end to be of any use...
Loved Peter Kay as Victor and as the green fella... well, doesn;t every planet have a Bolton?

Knew you'd like the ELO stuff. Loads of foreshadowing for Jackie/Rose too.

Seems the Torchwood archive is a bit easy to pillage... perhaps the Bad Wolf virus left them wide open... or have we not seen the last of the Bad Wolf's effects on the series?
Ian D. McArdell says...