-->

The Runaway Bride...

Want to discuss non-Staggering Stories related things with the other denizens? Try here!

Moderators: Adam J Purcell, Crew

hantsbear

The Runaway Bride...

Post by hantsbear »

...were we bothered? I'm not sure I was over enthused with it; it looked pretty and seasonal etcetera, but I'm not convinced of the need for "Christmas Specials". That sort of thing, in my brain, tends to be reserved for Morecambe & Wise and The Two Ronnies and others of that ilk.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned.
Logic merely enables you to be wrong with authority.
Adam J Purcell

Post by Adam J Purcell »

Well I've seen it three times now (the third time with the podcast commentary) and I'm still of the opinion I had when I first saw it: it was okay. Not great, not terrible. Just okay.

I really enjoyed the Christmas Invasion, that was a feel good story and one I've watched a good few times in the past year or so. I'm not so sure I'll be revisiting The Runaway Bride quite so much. The Christmas Invasion felt bigger - we had the return of UNIT, millions of people under blood control (apparently about to commit suicide), the Prime Minister making a public plea for the Doctor's help and a big build up to the new Doctor's triumphant saving of the world. The Runaway Bride felt small by comparison, a minimal threat of a few baby spider creatures climbing up a massive shaft (if they were as immobile as their Empress then they'd be a laughable threat indeed). Catherine Tate was okay, playing it as written I expect. I can't say I cared about what happened to her, she missed her wedding - who cares, her husband-to-be is just using her as some kind of alien invasion key - who cares. Quite a bit different from last year when I couldn't help but feel a little bit sorry for Rose who had just lost the Doctor and was now hating herself for not being able to save the world as he would.

I don't know, I could go on for quite a bit (and I will for a proper review next update) but overall I was expecting more after the previous Christmas special. They can be done right (at least to my tastes), we have seen that. This time it just all fell a bit flat. It could have been, should have been, much better.