-->

Series 3

Want to discuss non-Staggering Stories related things with the other denizens? Try here!

Moderators: Adam J Purcell, Crew

Andy Simpkins

Post by Andy Simpkins »

Well, the face of the Serbian entry certainly scared me....... :shock:
I wish I was a glow-worm,a glow-worm's never glum,it's hard to be unhappy when the sun shines out your bum!
macfadyan
Location: Watching lozanges of vortisticial light form beautiful butterfly patterns..I'M FREE!!

Post by macfadyan »

no remarks about 42 it seems? interesting..

however, Human Nature...brilliant?

'Absolutely'
YOU HAVE BEEN WATCHING.....
Mac (the Menlove Stokes of Dr Who music, apparently...)

"You can hear the whole of Human history in the sound of a cello"
Adam J Purcell

Post by Adam J Purcell »

42 - it was okay but it lacked a real sense of jeopardy that the script was so clearly trying to go for. A forgettable episode for me.

Human Nature... Hmmm. I hate to comment on part ones without seeing the conclusion but... I thought it was deadly dull, I'm afraid. Looking at Digital Spy everyone appears to completely disagree with me, it looks like it has the highest ratings so far. Nice productions values but, well, I just don't care about this John Smith's love life. Why should I or any other Doctor Who viewer? Get on with the damned story!
lordsummerisle
Location: lying on the grass on Sunday morning of last week, indulging in my self-defeat

Post by lordsummerisle »

I heard somewhere that Doctor Who was being described as "Eastenders: Lost In Space" :lol:

I agree that 42 was pretty forgettable but Human Nature is the best of the series so far even if the competition has been less than impressive.

I think Paul must have been raiding old DC Comics for plots though ... if I had a pound for every time Superman, the JLA or the Legion Of Superheroes hid from some deadly enemy in the past with their minds cloaked. That's not intended to take anything away from it though, on one level it's the most 'traditional' looking Doctor Who story of the revived series.
"It is the business of the future to be dangerous." - Alfred North Whitehead, philosopher.
Hobbit

Post by Hobbit »

Enjoyed it - knew I would - and the music was excellent.
Zebras deserve everything they get.
macfadyan
Location: Watching lozanges of vortisticial light form beautiful butterfly patterns..I'M FREE!!

Post by macfadyan »

Thanks, Hobbit....I enjoyed putting our pilot podcast together, though I may disagree with you about the music....um..you were talking about our podcast, weren't you????
YOU HAVE BEEN WATCHING.....
Mac (the Menlove Stokes of Dr Who music, apparently...)

"You can hear the whole of Human history in the sound of a cello"
lordsummerisle
Location: lying on the grass on Sunday morning of last week, indulging in my self-defeat

Post by lordsummerisle »

A pretty decent conclusion to the story from Mr. Cornell there, even if it did get all a bit Sapphire & Steel towards the end. Adds a touch of mystery once again to the Doctor's character, and for the first time in ages, some effective menace too. I suspect the more touchy-feely aspects of it are down to Russel T so I'm even willing to forgive its occasional straying into the land of angst.

Unlike the Dalek two-parter, the second part didn't disappoint. I'll even go so far as to say it could almost have warranted a third episode without looking too padded. The best of this series so far, by quite a way!
"It is the business of the future to be dangerous." - Alfred North Whitehead, philosopher.
lordsummerisle

Post by lordsummerisle »

lordsummerisle wrote:The best of this series so far, by quite a way!
That status only lasted a week though. "Blink" was superb! Seems like they've saved the best stories until the end of the series.
Andy Simpkins

Post by Andy Simpkins »

I totally agree.'Blink' was a very atmospheric and sinister episode.However, I think they were having a dig at'Primeval'.In the closing scenes where Sally Sparrow is looking out of theDVD shop window and sees The Doctor and Martha getting out the car and she runs after them.The Doctor says there are 'four of them...... and a big lizard...' which could explain everyones favourite tranked-up professor; Nick Cutter,his cohorts and Rex the flying lizard. :lol:
I wish I was a glow-worm,a glow-worm's never glum,it's hard to be unhappy when the sun shines out your bum!
Hobbit

Post by Hobbit »

Favourite line: "It's my timey-wimey detector. It goes beep when there's stuff'
Zebras deserve everything they get.