-->

Series 3

Want to discuss non-Staggering Stories related things with the other denizens? Try here!

Moderators: Adam J Purcell, Crew

Adam J Purcell

Post by Adam J Purcell »

I certainly thought the second part of Human Nature (The Family of Blood, was it?) was far better than the first. I could now see what they were doing in part one - setting up part two. They surely could have put some more elements into part one so as not to make it so bottom heavy, though! The second part, though, was excellent. On the whole the two parter was good but nowhere near displacing the Empty Child/Doctor Dances as my favorite of this second Doctor Who television series (i.e. 'New Series' as opposed to 'Original/Old Series'.)

As for Blink, I thought that was very good. I liked Sally Sparrow, probably more than Martha, to be honest. Martha seems so moody and needy, hopefully that will change if she ever gets anything to do - she may as well not even have been in Blink, for example. Nonetheless, I thought it was quite a clever script and it's good to see some time travel elements in Doctor Who! How many bets what the easter egg will be on the season three boxset? One glaring failure, for me, was the police detective. If Sally had known him for a bit longer than two minutes then his plight might have meant rather more than it did.
lordsummerisle wrote: Seems like they've saved the best stories until the end of the series.
I thought the season started off quite well but quickly sank a bit (Dalek Sek in gimp mode!) but has certainly picked up again the past couple of weeks (or three for everyone but me!) Jack's back next time and then Rose's cousin, Sam, turns up to finish it off for another year. Should be good.

Any speculation that Tennant may be going at the end of this season? I'm probably reading too much into little things but I've started to get that feeling. He did that excellent Confidential - it felt almost like a goodbye sort of thing. He's shaved off his sideburns (yes, he could easily grow them back or lose them as the Doctor...) I'm sure I am reading too much into it. Makes me think, though. Perhaps the midseason replacement idea is true for next year instead? Pointless speculation. Interesting, though! I think he'll be a much tougher act to follow than Eccles, though.
macfadyan
Location: Watching lozanges of vortisticial light form beautiful butterfly patterns..I'M FREE!!

Post by macfadyan »

so he was the Master all the time...

Loved it...the radio Times called the episode a clunker/pudding, but I'm sorry, I thought it was great - maybe one did need to be 'in' on the sense of anticipation and all the arc stuff, maybe...but I still say it was great fun...and Jacobi was very good as Yana....well, what dya expect, LOL....

so....The Sound of Drums next, huh?

heh

heh heh
Last edited by macfadyan on Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YOU HAVE BEEN WATCHING.....
Mac (the Menlove Stokes of Dr Who music, apparently...)

"You can hear the whole of Human history in the sound of a cello"
Hobbit

Post by Hobbit »

Nope, sorry. Turned it off half way through
Zebras deserve everything they get.
Hobbit

Post by Hobbit »

Damn! I can't do that! :D Loved it and Derek Jacobi was outstanding. The way his eyes changed when he got Masterfied... Really looking forward to the last two.
Zebras deserve everything they get.
macfadyan
Location: Watching lozanges of vortisticial light form beautiful butterfly patterns..I'M FREE!!

Post by macfadyan »

Simm looks like he's having the time of his life in the role already...I have a feeling his Master is gonna be nutty as squirel shit (rightly so) but a lot of fun too...Loved the clip with him in the oxy mask giving the thumbs up...you could tell he was having fun..as long as he really doesn;t completly ham it this is gonna be fun...Loved the delgado and ainley whispers and loved having Jack back....great dynamic....

fingers crossed the first three parter (RTD's Keeeper of Traken-Castrovalva) aint gonna go phut then....
YOU HAVE BEEN WATCHING.....
Mac (the Menlove Stokes of Dr Who music, apparently...)

"You can hear the whole of Human history in the sound of a cello"
lordsummerisle
Location: lying on the grass on Sunday morning of last week, indulging in my self-defeat

Post by lordsummerisle »

macfadyan wrote: .... and loved having Jack back
Yeah, I was only thinking the other day that John Barrowman hasn't been on TV anywhere near as much as he could be. I think I went two days without seeing him last week :)

Is it true that BBC really stands for the Barrowman Broadcasting Company?

Not complaining though, he's a nice lad and if it wasn't him it'd be Jamie Oliver.
"It is the business of the future to be dangerous." - Alfred North Whitehead, philosopher.
Adam J Purcell

Post by Adam J Purcell »

Diddly Dum, Diddly Dum, Diddly Dum, Diddly Dum...

Pretty good episode. Simm wasn't quite as bad as I feared but certainly not the menacing presence of Delgado. This Saxon Master is quite fun and his danger comes from the apparent instability. I certainly like the idea of the drumming in his head - that would certainly send me mad!

It looks like RTD has completely chucked out all that Cartmel nonsense and I'm not too sad about that - I always thought it was a bit too in-crowdy and fanish anyway. This new explanation for the Master made the Timelords out to be quite a nasty bunch - sending their children insane by forcing them to look into the vortex?! Still, nice to see some decent looking Timelord headdresses! Shame the Citadel looked so CGI...

It wasn't quite the political thriller that Macfadyan suggested it would be but was by no means as bad (in that regard or any other!) as Aliens of London...

Interesting to see how our heroes get out of this one. Getting the Master's lazarus project device and setting it into reverse fairly early in the next episode? Convincing these globes to turn on the Master? What are they anyway? The minds of Gallifreyan children lost to the time vortex? No, at billions too many I expect. Was it 6 billion? Roughly the same number as Humans? Perhaps reaching too far with that thought.
lordsummerisle
Location: lying on the grass on Sunday morning of last week, indulging in my self-defeat

Post by lordsummerisle »

Adam J Purcell wrote:The minds of Gallifreyan children lost to the time vortex? No, at billions too many I expect. Was it 6 billion? Roughly the same number as Humans? Perhaps reaching too far with that thought.
That's my guess. Remember, the Time Lords are the oldest race so they've probably been feeding kids into the vortex for a good couple of billion years, the voices of the thingies were quite child-like and what else could break the Doc's hearts?
"It is the business of the future to be dangerous." - Alfred North Whitehead, philosopher.