-->

Series 3

Want to discuss non-Staggering Stories related things with the other denizens? Try here!

Moderators: Adam J Purcell, Crew

Hobbit

Series 3

Post by Hobbit »

LOVED IT!
Zebras deserve everything they get.
lordsummerisle
Location: lying on the grass on Sunday morning of last week, indulging in my self-defeat

Post by lordsummerisle »

Well, I hated it :evil:

No I didn't. I loved it. April Fool :D
"It is the business of the future to be dangerous." - Alfred North Whitehead, philosopher.
macfadyan
Location: Watching lozanges of vortisticial light form beautiful butterfly patterns..I'M FREE!!

Post by macfadyan »

I have to admit, after how much I didn't like New earth, I did rather enjoy this one...fingers crossed I may be warming to tennant, finaly...
YOU HAVE BEEN WATCHING.....
Mac (the Menlove Stokes of Dr Who music, apparently...)

"You can hear the whole of Human history in the sound of a cello"
Adam J Purcell

Post by Adam J Purcell »

I've seen Smith and Jones once properly and once with the commentary now. I thought it was 'okay'. Not great, not bad. Martha hasn't yet wowed me but then taking over from Rose was always going to be difficult for her in my mind (especially first season Rose - she got a bit moody in second season, I thought). It's too early really to judge the character though, so I must give her a break. She's certainly smart, inquisitive and a little too fearless for her own good - just the traits a modern companion needs. She didn't have that spark for me though - a little too serious. The whole episode seemed to be lacking the laughs for me - the playfulness. Hopefully that will develop for both the series and Martha after another episode or two. The interplay was getting there but felt a bit false for now.

Better than New Earth? Not for me. New Earth had that rompiness to it that I enjoyed and Bille in a wonderbra that I really enjoyed. For me it wasn't as good an introduction to a new companion as the episode Rose, either. Probably unfair to compare 'Rose' and 'Smith and Jones', though, as the former had a lot more to do and did a great job of introducing a new audience to the Doctor through Rose's eyes.

I look forward to next week's - Christina Cole for one thing (though she looks better as Hex's Cassie than the Shakespeare Code's witch, even saved from the old age mask!). This new Doctor Who has a good record with historical settings, too. Could be a good one.
Hobbit

Post by Hobbit »

OK we're three episodes in (and I've loved them all) but can I just say "ENOUGH WITH THE ROSE ANGST!!!!!!"
macfadyan
Location: Watching lozanges of vortisticial light form beautiful butterfly patterns..I'M FREE!!

Post by macfadyan »

oh shush...cut him some slack, the poor ol' duffer....look how old he is and he manages to pull a young bit of totty then she goes n leaves him....Id be feeling bad about it if I were in his shoes! :P

as it is, Im enjoying series 29 ( :twisted: ) a lot more then last years...as I was ranting to the Dunn last night, I think its partly the lack of smugness that was so prelavent last year in the doc/rose relationship (and yes, I know it was a deliberate set up to bring about their downfall) and I dunno....but this years show seems more accesable to me...Im even starting to enjoy tennant's perfomance :P

So 'You are not alone' eh? And aparently not as clear cut as it seems....interesting....

and the Macra? I was howling with laughter...how utterly wonderfully silly yet so right....

Poor ol' Boe....

macfadyan

Post by macfadyan »

however...

aparently last week had posters for the SS Rose in the background.

And this week.......

see the poster behind the doc, to his right...guess what the wording says?

Yup, roughly translated its Bad Wolf....

[/i]

tallorder

Post by tallorder »

Yup - I guess someone in the Art dept. doesn't read memos their memos!
Ian D. McArdell says...

"You have often said... pass"
Hobbit

Post by Hobbit »

So are you saying this is all part of the story arc and she's coming back?
macfadyan

Post by macfadyan »

nope. Do keep up :P

the bad wolf thing is very very probably now just an in-joke as was the SS Rose in shakespere code.

:):P