-->

I had an accident, and I woke up in 197... 2. US LoM Trailer

Want to discuss non-Staggering Stories related things with the other denizens? Try here!

Moderators: Adam J Purcell, Crew

Adam J Purcell

I had an accident, and I woke up in 197... 2. US LoM Trailer

Post by Adam J Purcell »

Keith found the following trailer for the American Life on Mars:

US LoM Trailer

Hmm, not sure what to make of that. Some very obvious similarities, particularly the being knocked down and waking up in 1973, sorry 1972!

Not at all sure about who they've gotten to play Sam, looks like they've gone for some muscle head 'hollywood leading actor' type instead of a more cerebral looking chap like Simm. Particularly didn't like the look of the scene where he is grabbing Gene Hunt's punching hand. Sam Tyler shouldn't be able to overpower Hunt, Sam should be standing up to Gene despite the DI clearly being able to physically intimidate him.

I dunno, I think this LoM won't be a patch on the original. Different, American, audience I suppose. We're not meant to like it as much. It will be interesting but I think it will make Ashes to Ashes look like a masterpiece by comparison (though AtA was very good, just not LoM excellent).
tallorder

Post by tallorder »

Deeply disturbing... unlike the American version of 'The Office', I can't see myself warming to this. Chief O'Brien is the Gene Genie?! I share all your concerns - especially about the casting choices of 'Sam' and 'Annie'.

Is there Life on Mars?... by looks of that promo, not much past the sweeps!
Ian D. McArdell says...

"You have often said... pass"
lordsummerisle
Location: lying on the grass on Sunday morning of last week, indulging in my self-defeat

Post by lordsummerisle »

To be fair, its job is to look like a 70s American cop show and spoof 70s American cop culture so it's going to have to be quite different.

If it can effectively reference shows like Ironside, Cannon, Starsky & Hutch, then it'll be job done as far as the American audience are concerned even if it doesn't have the same feel and look as our LOM.
"It is the business of the future to be dangerous." - Alfred North Whitehead, philosopher.