-->

The new Doctor

Want to discuss non-Staggering Stories related things with the other denizens? Try here!

Moderators: Adam J Purcell, Crew

Hobbit

The new Doctor

Post by Hobbit »

Zebras deserve everything they get.
Adam J Purcell

Post by Adam J Purcell »

Not much time left to get those bets in.

My money is on John Sergeant being Doctor 11.

Failing that, Paterson Joseph would make a good second choice, I think! :lol:
scardis

Post by scardis »

Well apart from his age, he's not a huge departure from Tennant is he?
Adam J Purcell

Post by Adam J Purcell »

Who, Matt Smith or John Sergeant?!

We'll see. In the interviews in that Confidential, Tennant came across almost like a statesmen compared to Smith (who just seemed to be trying to be weird). No doubt Matt will settle into the role, though.

I watched the two Philip Pullman things he and Billie Piper did, so I did recognise Matt's face (but not his name). I think I saw a bit of Party Animals too (but not all of it). Based on my vague memories of those I think he does have the acting ability. In the Vast Toffee (MN) we trust.

I must admit I was a little disappointed it wasn't Paterson - I'd gotten my hopes up there. As half expected (the other half expecting Paterson Joseph) it is a bit of a left field casting. I didn't have that immediate cheer of knowing it was someone I could immediately trust in the role but I'm sure he'll do a great job.

Damn, younger than me though..!
scardis

Post by scardis »

Yeah, you kinda think "This is the same tem that brought back Donna into our hearts" until you realise, it's not the same team at all. Still though, it's the Doctor that counts not the actor. I wonder how long until the companion is announced, seeing as he's so young they might have to pick one of Sarah Jane's kids. Maybe Maria or, wait for the fandom to gulp, Rani.
Adam J Purcell

Post by Adam J Purcell »

I don't think it will be too much of a problem if his companion appears about the same age as him. Billie is the same age as him (give or take a month, though obviously Billie was younger when she was doing the role). Freema is about 2 1/2 years older than Matt. I don't think it really matters.

I can't believe the Vast Toffee (MN) would ever cast a 'child' actor (though I think most of the cast of SJA are actually rather older than their characters). If his companion is too young then it starts to get into rather disturbing territory! I would imagine another very late teens/early 20s female companion. The next question is who might that be..?
Hobbit

Post by Hobbit »

Zebras deserve everything they get.
tallorder

Post by tallorder »

Most of the Sarah Jane kids play younger than they are... 'Clyde' and 'Rani' are both over 18 and I believe 'Luke' is 17. 'Maria' was closer to her actual age IIRC. I recall an interview where Anji (Rani) said that upon casting she had to tidy up her facebook acct. to make sure all was appropiate lest someone should get hold of pictures of her 'partying' :shock:
Ian D. McArdell says...

"You have often said... pass"
macris

Post by macris »

Beyond the oddity of, for the first time since being introduced to Doctor Who at the age of 8, the actor playing the Doctor being younger than me (and by a few years), I'm quite hopeful about Matt Smith. Though I haven't seen him in anything, per the Confidential the Vast Toffee (MN) was bowled over by him even though he went in convinced of the need for an "older" Doctor. He makes me think of what you'd get if you could take equal parts of Tom Baker, Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant and mash them together to form a new person.

Theory time: Doesn't it seem like the Doctors have (with a perhaps a few slight swerves along the way) gotten progressively younger? Reminds me of The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. I just hope current or future production teams don't carry that any further.
Adam J Purcell

Post by Adam J Purcell »

I don't know about sandwiches but if he's lucky Matt Smith might get to go to Longleat again, if they reopen that Doctot Who Exhibition there!

As for the actors getting younger, here are the ages when they took on the role (as best I can figure out/steal!):
  • William Hartnell - 56
    Patrick Troughton - 46
    Jon Pertwee - 51
    Tom Baker - 40
    Peter Davidson - 29
    Colin Baker - 40
    Sylvester McCoy - 44
    Paul McGann - 37
    Christopher Eccleston - 41
    David Tennant - 34
    Matt Smith - 26
It's a bit all over the place but the general trend has probably been down - 50s, 40s, 30s...

Hopefully Matt Smith will stay in the role for a few years, so he'll probably be knocking on 30 by that time. By then who knows who will be running the programme? The Vast Toffee (MN) will be very hard to replace but whoever it is, I very much doubt we'll get a Doctor played by someone under 26.