-->

Mornington Crescent - intermediate

Have a go at some fun activities such as Caption Competitions and Name That Donkey!

Moderators: Adam J Purcell, Crew

Humph!!!

Mornington Crescent - intermediate

Post by Humph!!! »

New game guys.

Rules: Swedish swithback (1977) - this in itself delays use of King's Cross till the sixth return, and outlaws all South African mainline stations (N.B for all you newbies, you may travel further than London)
Northern cross marmalade - to alleviate those annoying Paddington returns one finds invading modern games
Curving lines (first seen vs Napolean in his last bloody defeat).

(Bear in mind that there will be no tolerance of lazy moves, and that Mornington second ruff gambits will be looked upon very scornfully).

A Bientot
macfadyan
Location: Watching lozanges of vortisticial light form beautiful butterfly patterns..I'M FREE!!

Post by macfadyan »

Hmm, interesting, I must say.

A bientot, huh?

Thats a very familiar accent I'm hearing......

care to give a moniker?

On the subject of rule amendements etc, I recently recieved an e-mail from a mrs.trellis@n.wales.co.uk

who writes;

Dear Prunella,

Thanks awfully for the mutton cloth. You've no idea how badly I needed it.
Using it in the traditional method reminds me of the time Cecil Frubster played the classic Etonian Response. I still get a warm glow from picturing that.

Yours

Mrs. Trellis
North Wales.

I see she's lost none of her laser sharp observational skills. (sigh)

so, an opening move needed....hmmm...

I'll play the 221b and go for Baker Street.
YOU HAVE BEEN WATCHING.....
Mac (the Menlove Stokes of Dr Who music, apparently...)

"You can hear the whole of Human history in the sound of a cello"
Humph!!!

Post by Humph!!! »

A moniker? You must be joking...friends has ended my old mucker!

Interesting opening move though, i like the clever use of the duff rail convention... I would rather suspect a build up to a later Left-cycled dummy...

What to do... Oh well, with no particular tactic in mind, and merely as an all round defensive ploy, London Bridge.
Adam J Purcell

Post by Adam J Purcell »

Interesting rules choice indeed.

This will make things interesting: Brighton Beach, Broadway Line, New York Subway - via the White Star clause (est. 1912)

So, as I said: Brighton Beach, New York.
macfadyan
Location: Watching lozanges of vortisticial light form beautiful butterfly patterns..I'M FREE!!

Post by macfadyan »

Aha! Morton's Fork!

It just keeps turning up, lol.

Right then....

I'll avoid the obvios move to Argolis as this isn't rec arts dr who moderated and go for....

Bletchly Park.

Note the use of the Turing Test Run clause and how skillfully I have applied it to this particular conundrum. Had to think long and hard about this enigma of a next move...
YOU HAVE BEEN WATCHING.....
Mac (the Menlove Stokes of Dr Who music, apparently...)

"You can hear the whole of Human history in the sound of a cello"
Adam J Purcell

Post by Adam J Purcell »

I really must stop forking! Don't forget, another one and we'll force a 'Three Time Loop Jump'! That would be nasty..!

Time to invoke the Swedish swithback (1977) with the 4th Season Herman variation:

Garibaldi (Line 13, Paris Metro).
Humph!!!

Post by Humph!!! »

Ok then... The problem, i find, when using the Switchback, is that with it, there is no defence to Morton, should it be played less than three moves after... even later on one finds that without a Dunstable cross, a flanking tactic can be employed often leading to an Eastern ruff...

However, as we appear to all be gentlemen here, Liverpool Lime Street(Eccentric I know, but I always play this, purely for sentimental value, after a very amusing incident involving a porter, a bottle of 10 year old scotch and a rubber duck!)
hantsbear

Post by hantsbear »

Hmmm... if we're playing Swedish rules, and invoking the Andersson/Ulvaeus 1974 "Waterloo" gambit, I propose...

RÃ¥dhuset

So there :P