-->

so, just what do airports run on...?

Want to discuss non-Staggering Stories related things with the other denizens? Try here!

Moderators: Adam J Purcell, Crew

macfadyan
Location: Watching lozanges of vortisticial light form beautiful butterfly patterns..I'M FREE!!

so, just what do airports run on...?

Post by macfadyan »

http://appmarks.blogspot.com/2007/09/amusing-photo.html

a) this will make Purcell-face smuggier then usual...

b) Mildley Perturbing if you like to fly...
YOU HAVE BEEN WATCHING.....
Mac (the Menlove Stokes of Dr Who music, apparently...)

"You can hear the whole of Human history in the sound of a cello"
lordsummerisle
Location: lying on the grass on Sunday morning of last week, indulging in my self-defeat

Post by lordsummerisle »

I see that regularly on the telescreens at the Pru. Having said that, the Reading Bus telescreens run Linux and I'm told they're no more reliable.

However, the mainframe has only crashed once in the 13 years I've been there :D
"It is the business of the future to be dangerous." - Alfred North Whitehead, philosopher.
Adam J Purcell

Post by Adam J Purcell »

lordsummerisle wrote:Reading Bus telescreens run Linux and I'm told they're no more reliable.
I blame Microsoft saboteurs! I've seen a few blue screens of death at various kiosks/info displays but never yet a Linux crash. That may well say more about the number of machines running Windows than anything else, though. In the case of the photo example above - that looks more like an application failure than an OS problem. Maybe we can't blame Windows this time! Maybe..! Actually, looking more closely, is that Windows box running Telnet?! Madness! That may well be a piece of MS, then!
lordsummerisle wrote:However, the mainframe has only crashed once in the 13 years I've been there :D
Probably not practical to put a mainframe in every bus, though! It must take a fairly rugged piece of kit to survive being bolted into a bus and driven around for hours on end every day. Most other kiosk apps should be in easier environments, however!