-->

Ok, I know your all waiting to hear it....

Want to discuss non-Staggering Stories related things with the other denizens? Try here!

Moderators: Adam J Purcell, Crew

lordsummerisle
Location: lying on the grass on Sunday morning of last week, indulging in my self-defeat

Post by lordsummerisle »

macfadyan wrote:There, that better?
Slightly.

Would you tell us what the glaring error was? Then we might finally get down to what you actually think is wrong with it from a technical point of view, an angle from which I'm sure you have something to offer.

In all other areas though, all you have is what the rest of us have.

An opinion.
"It is the business of the future to be dangerous." - Alfred North Whitehead, philosopher.
macfadyan
Location: Watching lozanges of vortisticial light form beautiful butterfly patterns..I'M FREE!!

Post by macfadyan »

yup, an opinion, albiet an informed one. And I haven't had a go at anyone for having their own opinion - unlike you. Something Ive come to expect from you, tbh.

Anyway..

ok, have a listen to the link I put up on this thread..its a slight dodgy mix of the opening and closing themes - I was rushed so got the timings wrong - it happenes and its internet law that one can't complain/correct without making a mistake onself, lol.

Have a listen to the end of the middle eight...you'll hear the radiophonic melody carrying on as normal - when the rest of the piece is changing to go into the end run up...its lazy. Danny Stewart, back last year, used the children in need concert piece and, for fun, added radiophonics etc...he did a howell version and even a delaware version. On each one he extended the nessecary note so it fitted in with where the orchestral version was heading. Murrey didn't. And it doesn;t work. Also the mix itself is...wanting. It appears rushed in places with an overuse of the derbyshire radiophonic main melody statement which simply isnt needed. Basically, again, whilst I can see what he was trying to do, he fouled it up in the mix. He needs to go back and remix taking time to get it right. In that respect its similar to the album version. Rushed with too much reliance on the radiophonic melody statement.

As for the actual change itself, whilst I'm not against change I simply cannot see a reason for this one...the theme we had was just fine and had only been used for two years. We're heading back to the jnt era with a new theme every couple of years or so - and the law of diminishing returns may well come into play (and yes, Im generalising on that, but you get my drift). But if one is going to change, one had best get it right. This, alas, seems like a poorly constructed mish mash of previous elements.

As for the show itself, I absolutly addored it. Best special by far.
YOU HAVE BEEN WATCHING.....
Mac (the Menlove Stokes of Dr Who music, apparently...)

"You can hear the whole of Human history in the sound of a cello"
lordsummerisle
Location: lying on the grass on Sunday morning of last week, indulging in my self-defeat

Post by lordsummerisle »

macfadyan wrote:yup, an opinion, albiet an informed one. And I haven't had a go at anyone for having their own opinion - unlike you. Something Ive come to expect from you, tbh.
What you've done is get all umpty when I tell you that I think "Murray Gold was lucky to have created two decent versions of the theme tune" is the weakest argument I've heard for just about anything.

The scorn and mockery began right there with you in that first and second post. Then you started getting personal and you've continued along that line in the last post. Are you going to continue doing that?
"It is the business of the future to be dangerous." - Alfred North Whitehead, philosopher.
macfadyan
Location: Watching lozanges of vortisticial light form beautiful butterfly patterns..I'M FREE!!

Post by macfadyan »

oh, its been a long time coming, tbh.

lordsummerisle

Post by lordsummerisle »

Well, in that case I won't bother arguing with you any further from this post onwards. You have changed, you no longer have a sense of humour or, indeed, any sense of proportion.
macfadyan

Post by macfadyan »

well, better no sense of humour then the frankly nasty one you've been developing over the past few years.