-->

Ok, I know your all waiting to hear it....

Want to discuss non-Staggering Stories related things with the other denizens? Try here!

Moderators: Adam J Purcell, Crew

macfadyan
Location: Watching lozanges of vortisticial light form beautiful butterfly patterns..I'M FREE!!

Ok, I know your all waiting to hear it....

Post by macfadyan »

I HATED THE NEW THEME!!!!!!!!!

There, happy now?

The actual show was superb......but the theme...oh for fucks sake! Someone pass a law stopping Murrey Gold ever going near it again!*

*The author reserves the right to alter his opinion just to annoy keith in later times...
YOU HAVE BEEN WATCHING.....
Mac (the Menlove Stokes of Dr Who music, apparently...)

"You can hear the whole of Human history in the sound of a cello"
macfadyan
Location: Watching lozanges of vortisticial light form beautiful butterfly patterns..I'M FREE!!

Post by macfadyan »

ok....ahem.....thanks to the BBC Iplayer thingy.....and a little jiggerey pockery by yours truly...

http://chisnet.homeip.net/uploads/stags ... 202007.mp3

Now, have a listen to the end of the middle eight and hear the radiophonics stick out like a sore thumb - at least danny stewart, when he put togther versions with the children in need concert version smoothed out the radiophonics...

this is a MESS!...Yes, Im annoyed...Murry has been very lucky so far - two versions which have been up to scratch - he went for three for three....bad move...most folks can;t even come out with one decent version, he was lucky to get two.

I know, Im ranting...You lot know how much I love the theme...but I hate to see it screwed up like this when there truly was no need...and as for the oversuse of the radiophonic melody main statement...dear me, talk about 'slap it on to keep the fans happy'.....

Burn 'im! :P

lordsummerisle
Location: lying on the grass on Sunday morning of last week, indulging in my self-defeat

Post by lordsummerisle »

macfadyan wrote:this is a MESS!...Yes, Im annoyed...Murry has been very lucky so far - two versions which have been up to scratch - he went for three for three....bad move...most folks can;t even come out with one decent version, he was lucky to get two.
So while musicians with greater skill and less innate smugness have struggled to arrange one decent version, all the Smugmeister had to do to go one better was resort to devious trickery such as luck?

I'm totally convinced by the weight and logic of your argument.

He should be fired, and not just fired but beaten up ... and pretty badly too. If he dies from his injuries we should grind him up into a fine pink powder.

And then hire Midge Ure.
"It is the business of the future to be dangerous." - Alfred North Whitehead, philosopher.
lordsummerisle
Location: lying on the grass on Sunday morning of last week, indulging in my self-defeat

Post by lordsummerisle »

Oh .... and I quite liked it 8)
"It is the business of the future to be dangerous." - Alfred North Whitehead, philosopher.
Hobbit

Post by Hobbit »

Liked it a lot.

Wouldn't know a middle eight if it jumped up and gave me a haircut - don't care either.
Zebras deserve everything they get.
macfadyan

Post by macfadyan »

lordsummerisle wrote:
macfadyan wrote:this is a MESS!...Yes, Im annoyed...Murry has been very lucky so far - two versions which have been up to scratch - he went for three for three....bad move...most folks can;t even come out with one decent version, he was lucky to get two.
So while musicians with greater skill and less innate smugness have struggled to arrange one decent version, all the Smugmeister had to do to go one better was resort to devious trickery such as luck?

I'm totally convinced by the weight and logic of your argument.

He should be fired, and not just fired but beaten up ... and pretty badly too. If he dies from his injuries we should grind him up into a fine pink powder.

And then hire Midge Ure.

Ah, going for a body shot at me, huh? Look, I do actually know what Im talking about - I know you happen to think I don't, but then, you don;t actually know me that well any more. Have a proper listen to it and you'll see what I mean - he really has buggered this mix up...I can see what he was trying to do but it's a half-arsed attempt with ends dangling and wrong choices made.

TBH it sounds like a good fan mix, rather then the theme to the actual show - I'd expect to find it at Whomix rather then on my telly. As for luck, its incredibly difficult to come up with a good new version of the theme. So yeah, theres an element of luck involved with his previous efforts.

lordsummerisle

Post by lordsummerisle »

macfadyan wrote:Look, I do actually know what Im talking about - I know you happen to think I don't, but then, you don;t actually know me that well any more.
So you're now the final authority on whether a piece of music is any good or not?

I must have missed that announcement.
macfadyan

Post by macfadyan »

well, you like to think your the final authority on everything else, don't you? For a start I didn't make any mention of smugness etc - I was concentrating on the actual piece of music...however, you, as usual, seem unable to to have a debate or even a discussion without scorn or mockery - you've been hanging around Cohen far too long.

Think you need a reality check, Bill. Your not the great thing you think you are.

lordsummerisle

Post by lordsummerisle »

macfadyan wrote:I was concentrating on the actual piece of music
Ah yes, I remember that part of the argument. It boiled down to Murray Gold was 'lucky'.

The golfer Arnold Palmer used to be accused of winning tournaments by being lucky. His reply was "It's a funny thing, the more I practice the luckier I get".

People get where they are, not by luck, but by talent and hard work.
macfadyan

Post by macfadyan »

ok then...his talent deserted him for this piece of music. There, that better? Oh good. I forgot you love semantics. As it happens, and for a bit of background colour, I rather enjoy his incidentals - some of them are quite glorious. I have also enjoyed his two previous versions of the theme..a little cluttered in places but still rather lovely. This time, however, he's really has mucked it up. There's at least one glaring error which, as he;s such a talented composer, shouldn't have been overlooked. And the 'raw' sounding re-statement of the Radiophonic main melody is terribly overused.

A bit more background. I;ve been working with several people over the past few years on the theme. No, obviously not for the tv, but we've taken it apart and put it back together again. So I am speaking from some point of authority - I understand that theme tune very well. No, Im no composer like Murrey - I could only wish to be, but with this mix of the theme I feel he has made a bad mistake. I can see what he was trying to do but the execution of it is, frankly, poor.